- Monkey Ranch
- Julie Bruck
- 6" × 9"
to buy with PayPal or a Credit Card
The cover painting is a detail from Cookie...waiting, by Donald Roller Wilson. More of DRW’s work can be seen at donaldrollerwilson.com. By generous permission of both the artist, and the collection of Patricia Altschul.
e-book:The e-book edition of this title will be available by the end of summer 2013.
Listen to Poems from Monkey Ranch
Winner of the 2012 Governor General's Award for Poetry
Globe 100 Book for 2012
Comic and sober by turns, these poems ask us
what is sufficient, what will suffice?
… a mandrill, a middle-aged woman, a shattered Baghdad neighbourhood, a long marriage, even a spoon, grapple with this unanswerable conundrum—sometimes with rage, or plain persistence, sometimes with the furious joy of a dog who gets to ride with his head through a truck’s passenger window. Julie Bruck’s third book of poetry is a brilliant and unusual blend of pathos and play, of deep seriousness and wildly veering humour. Though Bruck “does not stammer when it's time to speak up,” and “will not blink when it's time to stare directly at the uncomfortable,” as Cornelius Eady says in his blurb for the book, “in Monkey Ranch she celebrates more than she sighs, and she smartly avoids the shallow trap of mere indignation by infusing her lines with bright, nimble turns, the small, yet indelible detail. Bruck sees everything we do; she just seems to see it wiser. Her poems sing and roil with everything complicated and joyous we human monkeys are.”
“Monkey Ranch has all the antic sensuality and thrilling precision we’ve come to expect from Julie Bruck’s work. This volume has a pitch-perfect elegance that calms the ruckus just long enough for us to glimpse the vulnerability of everyone involved. Monkey Ranch is like the best sort of letter from a friend—full of gossip, lively observation, and serious wit.” – Sharon Thesen
Julie Bruck and Monkey Ranch - Winner of the 2012 Governor General's Award for Poetry - here is the Judges' Citation - "Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck leaps about the ordinary world with a deft detachment and flexible artistry – guiding us with its offbeat, caring and companionable sensibility. “There’s enough light to see by,” says Julie Bruck, even though the children turn their eyes away. This humane voice, quirky and patient, will see you through a world stripped of miracles."
Julie Bruck - Monkey Ranch (Governor General's Award nominee in Poetry 2012) – 3 poems and an interview
In a recent interview, Rhea Tregebov recommends Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck - In an interview with Open Book Toronto - Poets in Profile, Open Book Toronto asks: "What was the last book of poetry that really knocked your socks off?
Rhea replies: "Oh, again, so many good books to choose from. I have to say I adore Julie Bruck’s Monkey Ranch, which just won the GG. I’ve been reading her work for decades and was so glad that a new book came out after such a long wait. The level of craft is very high in her poetry, but she’s also very engaged with the world, thoughtful, compassionate, the things that tend to mean the most to me in poetry." Here's the full interview.
12 or 20 questions with Julie Bruck – Monkey Ranch is now in print!!
Poetry Month 2012: Julie Bruck - Missing Jerry Tang
Stalk a Poet – Sarah Tsiang admires Julie Bruck’s writing…
For a sneak peek, here are a few of Julie’s poems on-line
“Monkey Ranch” and “Common Goods” at Eleven Eleven
“Snapshot” at Valparaiso Poetry Review
“Goodwill” at 99 Poems for the 99 Percent
"The Trick" at The Walrus magazine
More Brick Books by Julie Bruck
- Retail 2012: Brick Books by Jacob McArthur Mooney (Vox Populism, February 3, 2012)
- Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck by Zachariah Wells (Quill & Quire, April 2012)
- Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck by Barbara Carey (The Toronto Star, Saturday, April 14, 2012)
- Julie Bruck’s Monkey Ranch: A success by any measure by George Murray (Globe and Mail - The Daily Review - Wednesday, May 16, 2012)
- Julie Bruck on Undiluted Canine Joy by H.L. Hix (In Quire, May 4, 2012)
- Gould brings Prairie, people together by Bill Robertson (Saskatoon StarPhoenix, June 30, 2012)
- Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck by Devin Pacholik (Pages and Patches blog, September 3, 2012)
- Monkey Ranch by Melanie Kindrachuk (The Indextrious Reader, November 14, 2012)
- Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck by Judges' Citation for 2012 Governor General's Award for Poetry (Canada Council for the Arts)
- Brick and Bruck Prove that CanLit Can Get it Right by Andreas Gripp (Autumn Blossom blog)
- Bad member of the tribe makes good: Julie Bruck on the Monkey Rand by Dinah Zeldin (Almemar: A Jewish Arts Digest)
- Christmas book picks from GG-nominated authors by Catherine Banks (Ottawa Citizen, December 15, 2012)
- Four Favourites, With Some Notes on Farming by Lori Cayer (The Winnipeg Review, January 9, 2013)
- Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck by Mariianne Mays (Herizons, winter 2013)
- Violence in our bedrooms and kitchens: A review of Julie Bruck's Monkey Ranch by Phoebe Wang (The Toronto Review of Books, March 21, 2013)
- Monkey Ranch by Julie Bruck by Andrew Johnson (Arc Poetry Magazine, Arc 70, winter 2013)
- This Winning Collection is a Winner by Linda Crosfield (Purple Mountain Poetry, March 8, 2013)
- Writer's Shelf with Julie Bruck by Kerri Cull (Book Fridge, April 7, 2013)
- Julie Bruck: Review by Paul David Adkins (Valparaiso Poetry Review, May 2, 2013)
- Poetry you might have slept on by Shannon Tien (Cultmontreal.com, May 22, 2013)