- The Secret Signature of Things
- Eve Joseph
- 6" × 8.75"
to buy with PayPal or a Credit Card
Photograph by Patrick Friesen
e-book:You can buy the e-book edition of this title from Kobo, Nook and the Sony Reader Store.
Listen to Poems from The Secret Signature of Things
Shortlisted for the 2010 City of Victoria Butler Book Prize
and the 2011 Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize
Transparent poems that gesture gracefully toward the great silence at the heart of things.
Much of this poised and luminous book is rooted in an idea of epiphany, an aesthetic of everyday incarnation; not the sudden and profound manifestation of essence or meaning, but the smaller steps taken toward it. The moments in which, as Joyce writes, “the soul of the commonest object…seems to us radiant.” If epiphanies are for theologians, perhaps the little steps towards them are for poets like Eve Joseph, and for all of us who attempt to see beyond the names we give things to the names they give themselves.
The rubber plant in the hospital cafeteria is waiting for rain. Palms up beneath a sky of fluorescent lights, its leaves are broad enough to be roof, temporary shelter, shade to small creatures caught in the open. The hiker, for instance, who has made a fire with wet twigs and hunkers down to wait it out under his wide blue tarpaulin.
“…Eve Joseph’s craft and attention, her choice of the perfect word, give a kind of holiness to the song of everyday life. And if some of these poems are honed down to their elegant bones, others are expansive and wide open…” – Patricia Young
- See more at: http://www.brickbooks.ca/?page_id=3&bookid=215#sthash.Wmz01IY8.dpuf
- Poets prod us to be awake to life by Bill Robertson (Saskatoon StarPhoenix, May 15, 2010)
- Mining the B.C. Landscape by Rhea Tregebov (The Daily Review, Globe and Mail - September 20, 2010)
- The Secret Signature of Things by Alanna F. Bondar (The Goose, issue 8, fall 2010)
- Retail 2010: Brick Books by Jacob McArthur Mooney (Vox Populism, January 11, 2010)
- The Secret Signature of Things by Eve Joseph by John Herbert Cunningham (Prairie Fire Review of Books, Vol. 11, No. 2 (2011))
- From despair to rapture by George Elliott Clarke (Halifax Chronicle Herald - November 27, 2011)
- Poetry's Where is [T]here? by Crystal Hurdle (Canadian Literature #209 (Summer 2011))
- The Secret Signature of Things – Eve Joseph by Lindsay Williams (The One Line Reviews, January 29, 2012)
- The Secret Signature of Things - Eve Joseph by Michael Dennis (Michael Dennis blog, November 9, 2013)