- Love Outlandish
- Barry Dempster
- 6" × 8.75"
to buy with PayPal or a Credit Card
"Jocasta" by Tony Scherman
e-book:You can buy the e-book edition of this title from Kobo, Nook and the Sony Reader Store.
Listen to Poems from Love Outlandish
A love affair chronicled - from obsession to heartbreak, foolhardiness to faith.
In Love Outlandish, Barry Dempster undoes all the clichés that have barnacled our love lives and, with the zest and courage typical of his work, explores their torrents and eddies afresh. As in his previous books, Dempster responds to D.H. Lawrence's plea that we should discover and articulate what the heart really wants rather than some idealized version of it. Thoughtful, passionate, full of humour and self-aware wit, Love Outlandish delivers, again and again, the shock of recognition that permits us to laugh at, and with, the very emotions it probes. This is a book to relish for its energy and cherish for its wisdom.
My favourite is the one where his love
keeps trouncing distance
even after she's gone, making
harmonies out of death rattles.
It's the crack in his heart
where the melody lingers, the hiss
of an old 45. How can I help
but sing along, hard, hard song,
from "Hard Song"
"...Barry Dempster trains his poetic gaze on the lonely marrow inside love, and blows it wide open." - Jeanette Lynes
"Talk about luscious, limber language! The wonderful poems of Barry Dempster in Love Outlandish extend the possibilities of ‘love lives' themselves-what doesn't quite work out becomes, thanks to careful, original imagery and vibrant description, somehow as magnetic and translucent as what does..." - Naomi Shihab Nye
"Ten Questions with Barry Dempster" – July 29, 2009
More Brick Books by Barry Dempster
- The Burning Alphabet (2005)
- Invisible Dogs (Sept)
- Letters From A Long Illness With The World: the D.H. Lawrence Poems (1993)
- Tuesday by Inkslinger, April 21, 2009 (The Overdecorated Bookcase blog)
- An old subject, but a fresh approach by Paul Vermeersch (Globe and Mail, June 20, 2009)
- Love Outlandish by Barry Dempster by Gillian Harding-Russell (Prairie Fire)
- Love, familiar and fractious by Mike Borkent (Canadian Literature - issue 206, autumn 2010)
- Love Outlandish by Barry Dempster by Marc Thackray (Journal of Canadian Poetry, The Poetry Review, Volume 26 for the year 2009)
- Love Outlandish by Barry Dempster (Brick Books, 2009) by Kimmy Beach (Canadian Poetries, February 14, 2013)
Books of related interest
- Slovenly Love by Méira Cook