- The Bridge that Carries the Road
- Lynn Davies
- 5.5" × 8.75"
to buy with PayPal or a Credit Card
Paper Crossing the Meeting of Waters: Stream and Sea, Newfoundland 1982, photo/landwork by Marlene Creates
Listen to Poems from The Bridge that Carries the Road
Shortlisted for the 1999 Governor General's Award for Poetry and the 2000 Gerald Lampert Award
Lynn Davies' first collection brings together poems astonished with the fierce power of love. With a remarkable sureness of tone and clarity and immediacy of perception, she surrenders to the demands of a fully experienced life, and to the necessity to honour it with poetry. She chronicles the hilarities, the struggles, the innocence of family life, with the exact rightness of the children in her poem who invent a universe of play from a gutted dishwasher. And throughout the book, the lonely beauty of the Maritimes is a vision of the most silent reaches of the self.
- Review of The Bridge That Carries the Road, by Lynn Davies by Anne Burke (Prairie Journal of Canadian Literature, September 19, 2006)
- The Bridge That Carries the Road by Lynn Davies by Judges' comments (Governor General's Award for Poetry shortlist 1999)
- Women poets en route by Michael Thorpe (Atlantic Books Today, # 27, winter 1999)
- Female Maritime poets enjoy a golden age by matt robinson (The New Brunswick Reader, November 18, 2000)